Date: May 8, 2021
Wm. Gregory Burkett, a compatriot of the Rappahannock Chapter, a historical preservationist and a trustee of the James Monroe Memorial Foundation, spoke to the Williamsburg Chapter at the Ford’s Colony Country Club on May 8, 2021. His topic was “James Monroe, Patriot and President.” Williamsburg Chapter President Roger Cross, left, is presenting a Certificate of Appreciation and a Jefferson Cup to Burkett, on right.
Submitted by: Harley Stewart
The Colonel James Wood II Chapter, Virginia Society participated in a flag raising ceremony and drill/musket firing ceremony at Fort Loudoun Day in Winchester.
This event commemorates the beginning of work on a fort in Winchester. On 18 May 1756, George Washington sent a letter to his second in command, Lieutenant Colonel Adam Stephen that he was beginning to construct and erect a fort at the direction of the Governor Dinwiddie. Stephen was asked to send down the men of Captain George Mercers Company, Captain David Bells men and other carpenters from other companies. The supervisor of the carpenters was Major Joseph Stevens of the Caroline County militia. The fort was built on a five acre tract of land that belonged to Isaac Parkins. Washington had drawn the plans for the fort, laid out the site and erected a blacksmith shop nearby to supply the needed ironwork. In a surviving plan for the fort, he outlined a 204 foot square with bastions at each corner. The initial plan showed the distance between the bastions at 88 feet. The ramparts were about 16 feet in height and 13+ feet wide. The gate into the fort was located on the south side of the building. Inside the fort were five major buildings, each separated from the inner wall by a passage up to 7.3 feet wide. In a second plan, Washington extended the width of the rampart to 18 feet and reduced the length to 78 feet. He further eliminated the passageway between the buildings and the inside wall of the rampart. A well was begun in April 1757. By 1758 the well was 102 feet deep but had not yet struck a spring. A lack of funding hampered completion of the well. Although a primary base for Virginia forces operating on the colony's northwest frontier, after four years, the fort remained unfinished. This was due in part to lack of adequate funding, poor maintenance and the conduct of the French and Indian War. After the end of the French and Indian War, the fort remained occupied. In 1774, a partial dismantling of the hewed timber walls of the fort may have begun. A home on South Loudoun Street in Washington is said to have been built of the logs from Fort Loudoun. Today, the structure is covered with clapboard siding. The place remained a military base during the Revolutionary War, mainly for operations against the Indians, serving as a point of rendevous. During 1780, Fort Loudoun as a prisoner of war camp for a short period of time. The fort had continued to decline. The hewn logs had been removed and replaced with a picket fence to enclose the prisoners. By 1786 there were no longer any walls remaining from the fort. The last of the buildings from Fort Loudoun probably survived into the early years of the 19th century, as most of the buildings had been removed as the expansion of Winchester went through the property that had been the fort. The only surviving structure from the fort is the well. The Fort Loudoun Day Commemoration began in the morning with tours of the site and presentations by David Grosso, President of the French and Indian War Foundation and an appearance by James Wood (founder of Winchester, as rendered by Steve Resan). Reenactors from Mercers Company, Rutherford's Rangers and the Colonel James Wood II Chapter of the SAR provided a flag raising ceremony, Mercers Company gave presentations of drill and ceremony plus a musket firing showing how these actions were taken during the French and Indian War. The SAR Chapter then showed how the same were conducted during the Revolutionary War. Participating from the French and Indian War Foundation were David Grosso, Steve Resan, Scott Straub, Marc Robinson (Mercers), Eric Robinson (Mercers), Jim Moyer (Mercers) and Dale Corey (SAR). From the Rangers: Charles Balding, Mark Buhl, Josh Shores and Jeff Pennington. From Mercers Company: Quinton Culver, Sloan Culver, Erick Moore and Steve Doss. From SAR: Sean Carrigan, Chip Daniel, Fred Gill, Dennis Parmerter, Nathan Poe and Will Reynolds. First picture is a group photo of the reenactors. Kneeling l. to r. Charles Balding, Mark Buhl, Eric Robinson, Quinton Culver, Sloan Culver, Sean Carrigan, Thomas "Chip" Daniel, Dale Corey and Nathan Poe. Standing l. to r. Josh Shores, Jeff Pennington, Steve Doss, Jim Moyer, Eric Moore, Marc Robinson, Will Reynolds, Fred Gill, Dennis Parmerter, Steve Resan. Second photo is Mercers Company preparing to fire muskets. l. to r. Quinton Culver, Marc Robinson, Jim Moyer, Sloan Culver and Steve Doss. Third photo is Colonel James Wood II SAR Chapter preparing to fire muskets. l. to r. Fred Gill, Dennis Parmerter, Thomas "Chip" Daniel, Nathan Poe, Sean Carrigan, Will Reynolds and Dale Corey. Photos courtesy of Scott Straub.
The Colonel James Wood II Chapter of the Virginia Society participated in a multi-grave marking ceremony at the Ebenezer Church in Bluemont, Virginia
On 22 May 2021, the Colonel James Wood II Chapter of the Virginia Society Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) had a ceremony to award Brenna Salins as the winner of the SAR Chapter Elementary School Poster Contest. Brenna drew a poster to honor Emily Geiger, an American Revolutionary War heroine. She was the daughter of John Geiger and Emily Murff of South Carolina. Her father was a strong believer in the colonial effort to gain independence from Great Britain. Soon after the siege of Ninety Six in South Carolina, General Nathanael Greene needed to send an order to General Thomas Sumter on the Wateree River to join forces. The country was full of British and Tories and no one was willing to undertake this dangerous mission. Geiger's father was infirm at the time, so Emily, although only 16 years old, volunteered to deliver this message across enemy territory. This was a 70 mile trek over difficult terrain to include a dense marsh. General Greene wrote a letter and gave it to her while at the same time communicating the message verbally in case something happened. On the second day, British scouts intercepted her near the Congaree River. Because she was coming from the direction of Greene's army she was suspected and confined to a room. She told her captors she was on a journey to visit her Uncle Jacob. The officer interviewing her called for an old Loyalist matron to search her. When they weren't looking, Emily tore the message to pieces and ate it all. When the matron searched her, she found nothing. She was let go and given an escort to her Uncle Jacob's house. Once their, she made her way to General Sumter and delivered the message verbally. Because of her valiant and dangerous journey, Sumter was able to combine with Greene's Army and the they were then able to force the British Army under Lord Rawdon into retreat and assist in the final efforts to win the American Revolutionary War. The poster contest is open to all 3rd, 4th and 5th grade aged students interested in the American Revolution. It is open to public School, parochial, home schooled, scouting or Children of the American Revolution students. Young artists with an enthusiasm toward art, a love of American history or a passion in creative expression can submit their posters to the Colonel James Wood II Chapter for competition. For academic years ending in event numbers, the theme shall be Revolutionary War Events. For years ending in odd numbers, the theme shall be Revolutionary War Person or Persons. Pictured are Chapter Past President Dale Corey recognizing Brenna Salins and her Mother, Melanie Salins with her poster and certificates of appreciation. Photo courtesy of Thomas "Chip" Daniel.
22 May 2021 Richmond, VA
link to YouTube video here.
This Saturday the Virginia SAR dedicated a Monument to the patriots of the American Revolution buried at historic Shockoe Hill Cemetery.. This Monument was originally intended to be dedicated during the 2020 NSSAR Congress in Richmond. That dedication was cancelled along with the Congress, but the Monument was dedicated this weekend as one of President Jeff Thomas' initiatives. The Richmond Chapter was the host, Richmond Chapter President Bill Haskins was the master of ceremonies, and Virginia SAR President Jeff Thomas led the Dedication Ceremony with George Washington Chapter Vice President Richard Rankin acting as chaplain.
Joining the Virginia SAR were Virginia C.A.R. President Sara Cox, Virginia C.A.R. Senior President Stacey Wajciechowski, Virginia OFPA Governor Mike Weyler, and French SAR Representative Pat Kelly. Thirteen chapter participated and were joined by two DAR Chapters and two C.A.R. Societies.
Virginia SAR Color Guard Commander Ken Bonner led the Color Guard that raised the US Flag on the flagpole that is part of the Monument and also commanded the eleven muskets that fired a three volley salute as the covers were removed from the Monument. Dale Corey plaid "To the Colors" on his bugle as Old Glory was raised on the flagpole and also led all present in singing "America the Beautiful" after the musket salute. The Monument currently has te names of twenty patriots engraved upon it, but with room to add more as they are verified, which will certainly occur. Five of the names were given special attention to count for patriot grave markings.
Five Patriots Identified for Grave Marking
The names of the five so honored were called out, a bell was rung, and their biography was read.
Information for your Patriot Grave Marking Medal Form. Are you tracking your accomplishments? Participate in marking a total of 15 similar graves and you're eligible for the NSSAR Patriot Grave Marking Medal.
On May 7 the Williamsburg Chapter presented a SAR Flag Recognition Certificate for exemplary patriotism in display of the American Flag to the James City County Fire Department Station #4. The chapter Flag Recognition Chairman, George Corbett, 3rd from the right, made the presentation.
Photo by: Karen Corbett
Submitted by: Harley Stewart
On April 25, Harley Stewart, a chapter past president, attended a dedication by Historic First Baptist Church honoring their founder, Gowan Pamphlet. Joining in the project were the Virginia Department of Historic Resources and the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
As a slave, Gowan Pamphlet, receiving permission from his owner, was ordained a minister in 1772. At the time of his ordination, Pamphlet was said to have been the only black preacher of any Christian denomination in the American colonies. He chose the name of Pamphlet for himself after reading Tom Paine’s pamphlet Common Sense. Pamphlet preached a message of equality throughout the American Revolution, founded First Baptist Church, and saw it grow to 500 members. In doing this, he had been engaged in no less than three illegal activities – preaching, assembling large groups of blacks, and not being the Church of England. Pamphlet prevailed, was granted his freedom in 1793 and his congregation was admitted to a Baptist Association.