On June 14, 2019, Paul Walden, Chapter Flag Chairmen, commemorated Flag Day by giving a presentation on the history of the United States Flag in the historic Department of Commerce library in the Herbert C. Hoover Building (named after 31st U.S. President and SAR Compatriot) in Washington, DC. Approximately 50 Commerce employees attended. Paul discussed the evolution of the flag from the colonial period, through the American Revolution, and up to the present.
Afterwards, he presented a SAR Flag Certificate to Byron Adkins, Jr., the Director of the Office of Facilities and Environmental Quality. Mr. Adkins is the senior official in charge of the Herbert C. Hoover Building operations. This building is located at a prominent location (1401 Constitution Avenue, NW) and displays total of 12 United States Flags around the building.
Flag Day commemorates the adoption of the United States Flag by resolution of the Continental Congress on June 14, 1777. In 1916, President Wilson issued a proclamation establishing June 14 as the official Flag Day. Submitted by Paul Walden.
The Col. James Wood II Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution held a grave side marking ceremony on Saturday morning, June 8th at the Mount Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, VA for a Revolutionary War Patriot John Schultz. He was a member of a small group of rifle marksmen known as the "Dutch Mess". These local men of the Winchester area served with Gen. Daniel Morgan and where "His riflemen and loyal protectors in war. His companions and friends in peace". Immediately following at the same location was the dedication of the new monument to the members of the "Dutch Mess". As noted on the monument, there are six Patriots buried there.
Color Guard Members and dignitaries from other SAR Chapters as well as DAR chapters assisted in the ceremonies and the presentation of the chapter wreaths.
photo 1: Color Guard salute L-R Patrick Corey (drummer), Marc Robinson, Bill Schwetke, Kelly Ford, Brett Osborn, Eric Robinson, Paul Christensen.
photo 2: SAR Color Guard members and dignitaries representing: Col. James Wood II Chapter, Fort Harrison Chapter, Col. William Greyson Chapter, Culpeper Minutemen Chapter, Fairfax Resolves Chapter, Fort Loudoun Chapter DAR, John Alexander DAR. Also attending were Pastor Michael Evans and Rich Venskoske from the Centenary Reformed Church which owns the section of land where these six Patriots are buried
photo 3: Color Guard Members and dignitaries assisting with the service.
photo 4: "Dutch Mess" monument
Submitted by William D. Wood
On June 01, 2019, Norfolk Chapter President Ken Hawkins conducted dignified ceremonies marking the graves of five Revolutionary War Patriots at Cedar Grove Cemetery and eleven Patriot graves at Trinity Episcopal Church Cemetery in Portsmouth, Virginia. Heavy rain and lightning delayed the ceremonies, but the weather cleared by late morning and the sun appeared in time to provide a magnificent setting for the day’s activities—appropriately symbolizing the legacy of the heroes we sought to honor and remember. At Cedar Grove, Nash Bilisoly, a descendant of Antonio Bilisoly, sailing master of a ship in Comte de Grasse’s fleet in the Battle of the Capes, gave a stirring talk. Norfolk SAR Immediate Past President Maury Weeks read the biographies of the five Revolutionary Patriots whose graves we marked (Captain Edward Woneycutt, Antonio Bilisoly, Jesse Nicholson, William Moffatt, and Richard Blow). Pastor Celeste Heath and Norfolk President Ken Hawkins unveiled and dedicated the grave markers prior to the laying of wreaths.
At Trinity Episcopal, Virginia Society President Peter Davenport and President Stuart Butler of the Society of the War of 1812 in Virginia unveiled and dedicated a plaque with the names of the eleven Revolutionary War Patriots and fourteen War of 1812 Veterans. Virginia Society SAR’s Knight-Patty Fund financed SAR’s portion of the cost of this plaque. Bishop James Magness of the Diocese of Southern Virginia offered the invocation and benediction. Maury Weeks and Edward Douglas read the Patriot biographies at Trinity Episcopal and Carter Furr and Tom Whetstone read the War of 1812 Veteran biographies.
At each ceremony, the Virginia Society Color Guard posted the colors and Hickory High School Senior Andrew Barr performed “Taps.” Mayor John Rowe read proclamations from the Portsmouth City Council. Representatives of the Virginia Society SAR, Society of the War of 1812 in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Virginia Chapter Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America, Virginia Society Order of Founders and Patriots of America, Suffolk Chapter Colonial Dames of the XVII Century, and a number of SAR and DAR chapters laid wreaths. Several direct descendants of the honored veterans attended the ceremonies; in addition to Nash Bilisoly, these included Marshall Butt--descended from Commodore James Barron, Macon Williams--descended from Patriot Isaac Luke, and Alexander P. Grice IV--descended from Joseph Grice (Revolution) and Anthony and George Grice (War of 1812). After the ritual of photos, most enjoyed a good barbecue lunch at the Trinity Episcopal tent on Court Street, which the city blocked off for the occasion. Submitted by J. Thomas Whetstone
On June 1, a plaque was dedicated marking the site of the Mount Eagle Mansion on the Montebello Condominium grounds in Alexandria. This was the home built by Bryan Fairfax in 1790 and stood until it was razed in 1968 after being used for several purposes, including a country club. George Washington was a friend of the Fairfax family and attended a dinner here the week before his death in 1799.
Bryan Fairfax was the 8th Lord Fairfax of Cameron, and in fact, was the first member of the House of Lords born in America. Fairfax’s feelings were torn between England and America during the Revolutionary War. On his own in 1777, he decided to be a mediator between the two sides. He was arrested in Lancaster, PA, for refusing to sign a loyalty oath. However, he wrote to his good friend, George Washington, who gave him a pass to travel between the lines. In New York, British officials also required a loyalty oath, which he refused to take. With his mediation attempts a failure, he returned to Virginia for the remainder of the war. In the 1790s, he became Rector of Christ Church in Alexandria and lived at the Mount Eagle estate until his death in 1802.
The plaque was designed and funded by Montebello residents Paul Zeisset and Chuck Amorisino. Fairfax County Supervisor Dan Storck also participated in the dedication. Montebello residents and George Washington Compatriots Lisle Bean and Paul Walden also attended. Submitted by Paul Walden.