submitted by Bob Vogler
Recently members of the Colonel George Waller Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution presented Dr. Francis Amos of Rocky Mount the Bronze Good Citizenship medal and certificate for his leadership role in restoring the 1769 Old Chapel Church in Penhook. In addition, the state SAR presented Amos with a Revolutionary War era American Flag and also a Flag bearing St. George’s Cross.
The chapel had fallen into disrepair before Dr. Amos took it upon himself to purchase and restore this historic frontier structure. As documented by experts at Colonial Williamsburg and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, the chapel is one of four frame pre-Revolutionary War Anglican Churches in Virginia and the oldest document frame structure in the 27 counties that make up Southwest Virginia. Until Dr. Amos began his restoration, the structure was unknown to state or Colonial Williamsburg officials.