All photos by Mary Frances McKinley unless otherwise noted
25 July 2015 Ft. Defiance, VA
Virginia SAR President Reverdy Wright's Presidential Initiative to dedicate a marker to the 45 known Revolutionary War Patriots buried in the Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church Cemetery was brought to completion with the dedication of the plaque in a ceremony today. The ceremony was conducted jointly with the Society of the War of 1812 in Virginia which dedicated a similar plaque to War of 1812 veterans known to be buried there.
The General Daniel Morgan Chapter was the host for the dedication, and chapter president Edmund Davidson conducted the ceremony. Remarks were given by Virginia SAR President Wright and War of 1812 1st Vice President Walter Scheffield. Virginia SAR Color Guard Commander, Darrin Schmidt, led a combined SAR/War of 1812 Color Guard to post the colors and fire a three-volley musket salute.