On November 10, a plaque commemorating George Washington and his connection with historic Pohick Church in Lorton, Virginia, was unveiled. Pohick Church was the parish church of George Washington, George Mason, and George Fairfax. George Washington, as church warden, is credited for selecting its current location. The U.S. Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps provided a moving musical accompaniment, followed by speakers from George Washington’s Mount Vernon, the Weems-Botts Museum, DAR, Brotherhood of St. Andrew, and the Virginia Department of Historical Resources. Doug Smith, both a member of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew and a very recent member of the George Washington Chapter VASSAR, gave greetings. The Reverend Thomas Costa, portraying the colonial Rector of Pohick Church Lee Massey, led the Order of Morning Prayer, using the same 1662 Book of Common Prayer that was used in Washington’s time.
Submitted by Paul Walden